Wirksworth Rotary with Derbyshire Wildlife Trust
“If we act now, together we really can prevent a crisis, and grow a healthier, richer, wilder future.” Derbyshire Wildlife Trust
Restoring wild places will revive the natural richness we all depend upon, making our lives happier and healthier. We have been leading nature’s recovery across Derbyshire for over 55 years, inspiring people and communities to care and mobilising people to act, protecting and enhancing wildlife and wild places throughout the county. From surveying bumblebee numbers out in the field to taking toddlers on their first ever mini-beast hunt - our work spans from conservation at its most scientific right through to a child's first experience.
Wirksworth Rotary is delighted to partner with the Derbyshire Wildlife Trust in this balloon race to help them continue their invaluable work promoting the natural world and educating and enhancing the lives of Derbyshire residents and visitors of all ages.
Our usual fundraising activities have been very much restricted during the current pandemic, so we are looking to raise much-needed funds to enable us to maintain our support for a range of good causes and charities in our local community, across the the UK and around the world. Our work includes:
- we support our local Food Bank, Memory Cafe, Hospices, Scouts group and junior sports clubs and have made donations to local organisations to help them re-open after the COVID-19 lockdown.
- we provide dictionaries to children in our local primary schools and run competitions with prizes for primary pupils in writing, and secondary pupils in music, art, media, technology, cooking and public speaking.
- we have made donations recently to the British Heart Foundation, Age UK, British Legion, Action on Hearing Loss and Support Dogs.
- we have contributed to charities providing artificial limbs in India, children's education in Nepal and Rwanda, mosquito nets in Tanzania, and the Rotary campaign to eradicate polio worldwide. We also make donations through a micro-financing organisation which helps people develop their own businesses in a sustainable manner around the world.
- we established Aquabox back in 1992 and continue to manage this community project, which assembles and sends water filtration units and other humanitarian aid items to disaster-hit areas around the world, giving access to safe drinking water and minimising the spread of water-borne disease.
In addition to the prizes given by Ecoracing to the overall race winners, we are very pleased to offer our own prizes to the balloons which travel furthest within our cause. First prize will be a year's family membership of Derbyshire Wildlife Trust, with a second prize of a Beaver Adoption Pack for the runner up, and £50 worth of Amazon vouchers for third place.
All of the proceeds from the balloons sold within our cause will be split equally between DWT and Wirksworth Rotary.
Thank you for your support.
Our fundraising target is: £2000
Gross monies raised so far: £108
Supporters so far: 9
Tagged in: Wirksworth Rotary Derbyshire Wildlife DWT
Share this storyBuy balloons for you |
Buy activation codes to gift |
Activate a gifted code
Supporter Balloons (36)
Norna Eddyshaw joined the race on September 24, 2020, 7:40 PM
Geoff Eddyshaw joined the race on September 24, 2020, 7:40 PM
Normski joined the race on September 21, 2020, 8:12 PM
Namaste 1 joined the race on September 20, 2020, 1:39 PM
Namaste 2 joined the race on September 20, 2020, 1:39 PM
Namaste 3 joined the race on September 20, 2020, 1:39 PM
Namaste 4 joined the race on September 20, 2020, 1:39 PM
Ruth Fantom joined the race on September 18, 2020, 2:42 PM
David Fantom joined the race on September 18, 2020, 2:42 PM
Frank Fantom joined the race on September 18, 2020, 2:42 PM